ISO 45001:2018 is the ISO international standard that replaces the OHSAS 18001 standard. This change is mainly due to the heterogeneous nature that OHSAS 18001 showed in different countries, in addition to the difficulties of integration with other standards such as ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015.
MAXIMUM INTEGRATION THANKS TO THE HIGH LEVEL STRUCTURE
ISO 45001 has been prepared based on the High Level Structure (HLS). Thanks to this unified structure, ISO 45001 has a common and consistent core with respect to other standards reviewed such as ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015. Other novelties with respect to its predecessor OHSAS 18001 are:
- New approach to the definition of risk.
- Review of the concept of workplace and worker.
- More accessible language for the services sector, for which we talk about risk identification and risk control instead of hazards.
- Safety Management is extended to all the operations of the organisation through Management leadership and Employee Participation.
- The Assessment requirement is extended in compliance with legal requirements (periodic assessment).
- It introduces new concepts such as occupational well-being, risk and opportunities.
- The context of the organisation and the expectations of stakeholders are of particular importance.