Organizations transitioning from ISO/TS 16949:2009 to IATF 16949:2016 must transition through a “transition” audit in line with the organization’s current regularly scheduled recertification audit or surveillance audit, as defined in the IATF Rules, section 5.1.1.
For organizations currently certified to ISO/TS 16949, the following is a recommended action plan for transitioning:
1. Familiarize yourself to ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949.
2. Perform an organizational gap analysis against ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949:2016 . The GAP Analysis should identify the differences that need to be addressed to ensure your organization’s QMS meets all the new requirements, including those related to external providers.
3. Based on the results of the gap analysis, develop an implementation plan specific to your organization.
4. Provide appropriate training for all individuals involved in implementing ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 at your organization.
5. Update your existing system and provide evidence that your organization meets the new requirements.
As a reminder, all audits performed after 1st of October 2017 will be performed against new IATF 16949:2016 version.